Even though I “officially” started marathon training over 2 months ago, it hasn’t felt like I’ve been training that long. I have been so focused on triathlon training and cycling that running has seemed almost secondary. It feels weird to say considering I’ve already gotten up to 18 miles for my long run.
I’ve been following a plan from Smart Coach pretty closely – except I completely blew off my 12 mile run this past weekend. I figured 6 hours of biking was enough and a week off wouldn’t hurt me too much.
Moving forward, I can totally see myself slacking off on my cross-training efforts. I no longer need to do long bike rides or any swimming to finish my next big race. But I would love to keep my endurance in these sports up in case I want to sign up for any longer triathlons in the not-so-distant future. And of course, it’s great for my body and avoiding injury.
Usually when I’m training hitting my workouts is my only goal. Since my cross-training workouts are a bit more open-ended now, I’m going to set some training goals for the month of August:
- One 20+ mile bike ride every week. It will probably be a few weeks before I want to do anything over 30, but I should be able to eek this out at least.
- Start bike commuting 3x a week. I haven’t really been bike commuting at all since my bike was stolen.* However, I have some good news. Last year when I wiped out on my bike, I messed up the frame of that bike pretty badly and thought it was totaled. My dad took it to a shop a few weeks ago and they fixed it. So now I have a sturdy/not expensive bike to take me through DC traffic. (Cool story – My grandpa got this Trek bike as a retirement gift from in the mid-eighties…it goes to show you that bikes can last a long time and are worth the investment! Plus I like the vintage look)
- Lift 3x a week. With triathlon training I didn’t really have time to lift more than twice a week. Note to self: lifting counts as cross-training. You don’t need to do cardio every day.
- Swim once a week. It has been 3.5 weeks since my last swim and it’s time to get back at it. I think I’m going to take swim lessons in September.
- Go to yoga once. I don’t know what it is with me and yoga. I can justify running for hours, but I have to force myself to go to yoga because I complain about it taking up so much time. There used to be a studio a few blocks from my house, which I loved the few times I went. Now I’m wishing I had gone more and helped to keep them in business.
This month I’ll be gone 3 out of 4 weekends (2 weddings and a camping trip), so I’ll be doing two long runs on Friday mornings including my first 20 miler. Because of that a secondary goal this month will be to get lots of sleep.
With that said, who is going to take me on their long bike rides? Or drag me to a yoga class?
*Even though it has been a month since my bike was stolen, I still stare down everyone in DC riding a green or blue bike. I am hanging onto the prayer that I’ll run into the thief. Then I’ll sick this girl on ‘em.