Today I was supposed to run the Hot Chocolate 15k. At around 4:15, I turned off my alarm and decided to go back to sleep. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve signed up for a race and didn’t show up (with the exception of being injured).
I was dreading the race all week.
The main reasons I didn’t want to do it were:
- There was no easy way to get to the race. From all the emails from the race organizers I could tell it was going to be a disaster getting all the runners to the start. Large races need to be metro accessible. I considered biking, but it would be pitch black when I would have to leave my house.
- It was a huge race. I didn’t realize there would be 20,000 runners when I signed up! I hate crowded race courses.
- I’ve been feeling a bit stressed out the last few weeks. More on this later, but I didn’t want to add any more stress to my life right now.
- I’ve been feeling a little under the weather. I woke up with a scratchy throat. I thought standing around in the cold waiting for a race to start might make it worse.
- I had a lot of things to do today. If I went to the race, it would be very difficult to get everything done in time.
The only good reasons I had for running the race were:
- I had paid for it.
- My co-worker picked up my packet and I felt bad making her do it for nothing.
- It would get my long run out of the way for the weekend.
In the end, I’m very very glad I didn’t go. From what I read on twitter the race was a huge disaster and did not start for more than an hour after it started. I would have been royally screwed with everything I had to do today.
What was I busy doing? Not just playing with the dog. Making food for Thanksgiving Part 2! My sister-in-law Kristen was out of town for work on Thanksgiving, so we are having a second meal tonight. Today I made stuffing, butternut squash and apple pie.
I made that pie crust from scratch. Don’t act like you’re not impressed.
I also took a Rock Creek Park walk with the dog and did a workout video. My long run will happen tomorrow.
You may have noticed I’ve been a little quiet over here these days. Some big life changes are coming up, which are both stressful and awesome. You can probably guess what it is based on what I have blogged about in the past, but I can’t officially announce it for a few more weeks. Since these changes are such a large part of my life at the moment it feels weird to blog and not write about them. It actually feels like I’m lying in some way.
So, I will be blogging less often until I can share the wonderful news publicly. And of course, if you are very curious I can email you what is going on.