Even though I haven’t had a gym membership in 3.5 years, in DC I had access to a small gym at my office. I tended to do my strength training there since it had a wide variety of dumbbell and barbell weights, plus a few machines I liked. I also did a lot of cross-training during the winter on the stationary bike and the elliptical.
During my first week in Denver, I drove by a packed 24 hour fitness and the idea of working out in a crowded gym like that made me shudder. I will probably have to join a 24 hour fitness eventually, mainly because there is one directly next to my office and I’ll need access to a shower once I start biking to work.
In the meantime, I’ve outfitted the house to get in exercise at home:
- My bike trainer: This is definitely not my favorite form of cardio, but at least I can watch TV while I pedal away.
- Adjustable dumbbells: I got these for a gift a few years ago and they are awesome.
- A jump rope. I bought a jump rope last week. This should be good for HIIT workouts.
- Resistance bands. You know I like these.
- A few sweet iPad apps. I’ll do another post about my favorite apps later this week, but I’ve found these can be great for at-home workouts.
- Workout videos. Sarah suggested this idea. With Netflix and Xfinity on demand, it couldn’t be easier.
However, none of these can truly replace a run during marathon training. This morning I woke up to another 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground and was very happy that my new pair of YakTrax are on the way.
What is your favorite at-home workout equipment?